Thursday, August 25, 2011

Gordon


I met Gordon Wetmore when I was 20 at Pawleys Island, SC. I observed him painting on the deck of the house next door, thinking he was a hobbyist painter on vacation and taking advantage of the view. Boy was I wrong. He was finishing up a portrait of Mr. Wrigley of Wrigley's field, gum etc. I had a little colored pencil portrait commission that I was working on with me and when Gordon learned I had an interest in art, he was so incredibly generous with his time and sharing of information. He did the watercolor sketch above of my grandmother as a demonstration for my family one evening. Making the connection that I was in school at Sewanee, just 45 minutes from Chattanooga where he resided, the proximity helped to keep us in touch as I worked towards a career in art.

I credit Gordon with so much. He truly introduced me to the world of portraiture and opened my eyes to such talent. Over the years, his encouragement and generosity have been constant and so appreciated. We have lost such an amazing mentor, artist, and man. I am so thankful for his presence in my life.

In his Studio

At Portrait Society of Atlanta banquet

No comments:

Post a Comment