Tuesday, July 5, 2011
After doing a half a dozen thumbnails, we chose the best and worked on our grisaille. We then worked to get our best estimate of the colors down all over the canvas to see how they were working together. (Referencing our color studies was helpful at this stage and Studio Incamminati's large palette was helpful in achieving the range of colors I saw.) Over time, we fine tuned the colors as we developed the forms. I could have used another day, but felt pretty pleased with how far I was able to take the painting. I so enjoyed being in a classroom for a week!
Our next step was to execute some color studies with palette knives. The figure shown on the left was my plan of attack for the painting I worked on for the remainder of the week. I also made sure to have Robin work with me on color harmony! and during one lunch break, I did two quick studies of the same paper towel roll under a halogen bulb with a cool blue gel over it, then removed it and attempted it again with the warm light. I did as Robin instructed and divided my time thinking about the local colors of the objects and the quality of the source light which provides the harmony. I hope to start my painting days with one of the studies from now on and really improve the way I see and mix color.